Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
There’s absolutely no doubt about it – deep-fried sweet potato fries are mega addictive and extremely satisfying. But have you ever tried their baked cousins? Although the concept might seem foreign to you, making baked sweet potato fries isn’t difficult at all. In this blog post we show you how to make baked sweet potato fries easily and give you a few awesome tips too. But first have a read through why I decided to make the baked version of them!
Our Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Jump to our Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Why I prefer Baked and Not Fried Sweet Potato Fries
The first time I had sweet potato fries was perhaps about 5 or 6 years ago at one of the local food chains in my country when the sudden sweet potato fries food craze had just hit our shores. To be quite honest with you all before my first time eating them, I had no idea what a sweet potato was, let alone tasted like. So, I really couldn’t understand the hype was about at the time. That is until I tried the orange fries.
As soon as the waiter brought my plate over, I was almost giddy with joy. The aroma that infiltrated the air was sweet. Yet, like nothing I had smelt before. And as I looked down at the fries, I couldn’t help but quickly I pinch one with a fork.
On tasting them, I sank my teeth into their crispy golden shell. And straight into their soft and velvety inside. The fries were sweet yet salty at the same time. All in all they were lovely. And I just wanted more!
Naturally as you’d expect, the fries at our local fast food hotspot were not baked, but deep-fried instead. No complaints here of course, the fact they were deep fried gave them an even crispy coating just like regular fries. Yet, as I sunk my teeth into them, I couldn’t help but think, ‘These aren’t regular fries at all, they’re sweet,crunchy and just the right of fluffy on the inside. But I wonder how they’d taste baked instead?’
Eventually a few weeks back, I decided to make the baked version of these fries since they remain absent from restaurant menus. These baked sweet potato fries are the healthier version of the fries ones. By baking them, you’re still able to make them crispy. And the great news is they won’t be so greasy! Wonderful, right? Here’s the recipe below!
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Time needed: 1 Hour
3 Large Sweet Potatoes
4 – 5 tablespoons of olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries
- Start off by washing the sweet potatoes very well under running water to make sure that any soil is removed.
- Peel the sweet potatoes’ skin off, if desired. However, if you’d rather leave the skin on instead, you can do so too for an extra bit of crunch.
- Next, chop the sweet potatoes up into fries.
- Put all the raw sweet potato fries into a large bowl and put the bowl aside.
- Next, chop of the garlic finely using a sharp knife.
- In a small bowl, whisk the garlic, paprika, chili powder and olive olive until the ingredients have been mixed well.
- Once you’ve made the mixture, pour it onto the sweet potatoes and mix together.
- Season with seasalt and black pepper.
- Heat up the oven on 180 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, line a baking tray with baking paper and place the fries on it.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the fries are a nice golden brown.
Presto, you’re ready! Now just dig in 😀
3 Tips for Making Home Made Baked Sweet Potato Fries
1.Make Crispy Sweet Potato Fries by Spreading Them Out
Before placing the sweet potato fries in the oven, make sure they’re spread out on the baking tray in a way in which they aren’t touching each other in order to crisp up.
2. Cut the Sweet Potatoes Lengthwise To Make Chopping Them into Fries Easier
Sweet Potatoes can be quite hard to cut into fries. So you should slice them in half lengthwise with a suitable knife first. Then proceed to chopping them into long rectangles.
3. Cut the Sweet potatoes into Half Moons, If you’re lacking Time
If you don’t have so much time on your hands, cut the sweet potato into rounds instead. Make sure not to make them too thick nor too thin. Then cut the rounds in half moons.
Don’t feel like making baked sweet potato fries? Try making this equally tasty Roasted Sweet Potato Salad instead.