Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Recipe with Pomegranate and Goat’s Cheese
As the spring leaves dry up and the summer months roll in, many of us start throwing summer bbqs. And a dish that’s often present at our tables is none other than the classic potato salad with its creamy mayonnaise dressing. Yet, too much of a good thing can lead to overkill. Don’t you agree? After all, how much of the mayonnaise-covered potatoes can you eat time and time again? Of course, there comes a time to try something different and this roasted sweet potato salad recipe might just be it! The great thing about it is that it’s not only really tasty but it’s also great for vegetarians too. Have a look at our recipe below, but first read a bit about what inspired the dish in the first place.
Jump to our Jump to Our Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
The Inspiration behind our Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
Potato salad might be a favorite amongst keen BBQ attendees across the land. Yet, I’ve had it so many times that I was ultimately craving something new which packed more of flavorsome punch. So one summer day I scoured the local vegetable market to find some interesting ingredients to prepare my salad with. Amongst the ones I chose were sweet potato, pomegranate and goat’s cheese. Two sweet ingredients and a tarty one with quite a . However, on looking at the three I couldn’t help think to myself, ‘What would compliment these ingredients well?’
Eventually after having a bit of a look around the store, I settled on avocado, pumpkin seeds and fresh baby spinach. And off I went back into my car and home to prepare this colorful roasted sweet potato salad dish fit for the royals.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
Ingredients for the salad:
2 boxes of baby spinach
2 large sweet potatoes / 3 small sweet potatoes
½ a lettuce (optional)
Goat’s cheese or feta
Ingredients for the dressing:
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup Basil
3 tablespoons Olive oil
Ground black Pepper
How to make the basil dressing
1) Chop the basil and garlic finely and put in the blender.
2) Add the oil and a teaspoon of honey. Then add the salt and pepper and a dash of lime.
3) Blend until all the ingredients have turned into a liquid that’s similar to pesto.
How to make roasted sweet potato salad
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with 1 tablespoon of paprika, some sea salt and black pepper.
3) Once you’ve mixed the ingredients together, set the mixture aside for later.
4) Next, wash the sweet potatoes well to get rid of any soil.
5) Peel the orange potatoes with a knife or a potato peeler and chop them into chunks.
6) Once you’ve put the chunks of sweet potato in a bowl, drizzle ⅓ of the mixture onto it.
7) Stir the mixture with the sweet potatoes together, then pour another ⅓ of the mixture onto the sweet potato again.
8) Next, pour the rest of the mixture onto the sweet potato and stir again until they’re all covered in the mixture.
9) After cover a baking tray with baking paper and place the sweet potato chunks on the tray. Set the timer for 35 minutes.
10) In the meantime, start preparing the salad and the dressing.
11) Wash the fresh baby spinach well and put it into a clean bowl.
12) Slice the pomegranate in half and pick out the pink fruit. Make sure you wash it before putting it into the bowl with the spinach.
13) Once you’ve done this, cut the goat’s cheese or feta into chunks and put them into the bowl.
14) Next, slice an avocado in half and peel off its skin. Then chop up the avocado and put them into the bowl too. For a fuller salad, add lettuce and chopped up apple if desired and mix the ingredients together.
15) Now that your salad is half done, it’s time to check on the sweet potato chunks in the oven. If they’re done, all you need to do is take them out and let them cool down.
16) Once they have, garnish the salad with the sweet potatoes and pumpkin seeds.
17) Now that you’re done, drizzle the dressing on the salad and serve.
Now dig in, sweet potato salad is done! 😊
3 Tips for Preparing the Sweet Potato Salad
1)Prepare the dressing in advance & Chill
By preparing the dressing in advance, you’ll be able to have more time for chopping up the others ingredients.
2) Serve the salad cold
Although you can serve the salad with warm roasted sweet potatoes, we definitely recommend letting them cool and refrigerating them for a while. The cold sweet potatoes will enance the flavor of the other ingredients and make them cold.
3) Don’t overcook the sweet potatoes
Remember when you’re cooking the sweet potatoes they needn’t be cooked until they’re crispy. After all, you’re not making roasted sweet potatoes to make fries.
Don’t feel like making a sweet potato salad? Try making some of these instead:
Did you try our sweet potato salad recipe? Snap a photo, tag @thebohemianbubble and add the hashtag #mybohemianbubble on your Instagram post and you just might be featured on our social media pages or this very blog post!